Senior Data Engineer BI/ETL Job Description
eCivis is a fast-growing, mission-based SaaS company in the emerging Govtech market. eCivis provides the #1 SaaS/Cloud grants management and cost allocation software solution in state, local and tribal government markets. eCivis is part of GTY Technology (NASDAQ: GTYH) the leading public sector SaaS company offering a cloud-based suite of solutions for North American state and local governments.
Our company’s mission is to deliver a fully integrated cloud platform that helps state, local and tribal government agencies maximize their grant revenues, track financial and program performance, prepare cost allocation plans and budgets, stay compliant and access free open data tools to better utilize Federal resources.
As a Senior Data Engineer BI/ETL, you will own and lead our data platform. You will have the opportunity to oversee our customer data platform to support our SaaS, and large-scale business intelligence solutions within the state and local government space. You will be responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and supporting new and existing highly efficient, highly scalable ETL processes. You will work closely with our engineering, and implementation teams to implement solutions to answer complex questions and drive business decisions. You will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices related to designing, developing, and deploying business intelligence (BI/ETL) solutions.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual with experience in AWS tools for cloud-based development. You will be an important member of the data team tasked with transforming a traditional SaaS enterprise data architecture into next-generation cloud-based streaming analytics and reporting platform in a fun, challenging, and fast-paced work environment.
- Architect, review, and implement database schema for ETL and BI reporting solutions in various databases including Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Relational Database Services for SQL Server, AWS Redshift/Postgres, and MySQL.
- Develop modern data architectural approaches for business intelligence reporting and analytics, including that for machine learning models and data science, ensuring effectiveness, scalability, and reliability.
- Develop modern data architectural approaches for ETL processes, including the retrieval of disparate data and transforming it to work with our enterprise SaaS application for government grants management.
- Design, develop, implement, and optimize ETL processes that merge data from disparate sources into Microsoft SQL Server and AWS Redshift for consumption by enterprise SaaS applications.
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, implement fixes, and design data audits to capture issues.
- Distill technical requirements into the product development and operational process via continuous collaboration with customer implementation, product, and engineering team members.
- Influence and communicate with all levels of stakeholders including customers, implantation specialists, and business users.
- Implement security best practices and other compliance requirements.
- Able to anticipate problems and proactively develop appropriate solutions for our Data team.
- Gather and build canned and ad hoc reports, and dashboards using reporting and visualization tools like Power BI/AWS QuickSight.
- Must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future
- 3+ years of experience working with a variety of ETL tools and monitoring real-time ETL and batch ETL processes, preferably AWS Glue
- BS degree in Computer Science / Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with AWS Glue & Quicksight building reports and dashboards
- Strong problem solving and coding skills in SQL/Python.
- Experience working with AWS Glue or other ETL platforms
- Experience with AWS Redshift, PostgresSQL, MSSQL, and NoSQL.
- Experience with Amazon SageMaker is a plus.
- Hands-on leadership, influence, and development of all things data services
- Hands-on experience with AWS.
- Advanced knowledge of database design (RDBMS & NoSQL)
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing technical skills and performing problem-solving
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to multi-task within a team-oriented environment
- Clear communication and presentation skills capable of being client-facing to assist technical conversations to aide our customers
- Ability to maintain all documentation on ETL / BI process and procedures
- Scrum / Agile working environment preferred
- Advanced knowledge in Python
- Experience with CI/CD including CI/CD for database development
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, initiative, teamwork, and problem-solving skills
- Must be committed to incorporating security into all decisions and daily job responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or related field preferred
- 3+ years in an ETL development role utilizing an industry-recognized ETL tool
- 3+ years of developing and supporting a data warehouse
- Strong knowledge and experience with SQL programming, including stored procedures, triggers, functions, and error trapping
- Prior experience extending or migrating existing data pipelines to cloud platforms such as AWS
- Experience with AWS services, specifically lambda functions, Data pipeline, and Glue is a strong advantage
- Experience with databases such as Microsoft, PeopleSoft, Oracle, and others is also a strong advantage
Job Type: Full-time – Remote USA
eCivis is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants and employees will be considered for employment and advancement without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, sexual or affectional orientation, marital status, status concerning public assistance, familial status, military or veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.